Dina Sherif is committed to building sustainable societies through the application of a more ‘conscious’ form of capitalism and she founded Ahead of the Curve (ATC) in 2012 to further that goal. ATC is a social enterprise promoting responsible/sustainable management practices, more inclusive and equitable economies and the development of socially innovative business models in growth markets to support both economic growth and social change. As CEO, Dina has been responsible for business strategy and business development, as well as overseeing all research related activities within the firm. Ahead of the Curve, established the first impact investment fund in the MENA region called Entrepreneurship with Impact Ventures to support early stage impact entrepreneurs through equity financing. Reimagine Group was established out of Washington DC in May 2018 to take Ahead of the Curve’s work to other emerging markets around the world, with a specific focus on educating middle and high school students on social entrepreneurship and responsible leadership principles. Dina also serves as an Advisor to the President of Egypt for economic development and job creation.
Dina formerly held the endowed Willard Brown Chair for International Business at the American University in Cairo, where she also founded the Center for Entrepreneurship. Prior to her journey with Ahead of the Curve, Dina helped found and build up the John D. Gerhart Center for Philanthropy and Civic Engagement out of the American University in Cairo.
Dina’s professional background has provided her with experience in economic development, responsible business practice, strategic philanthropy, youth civic engagement and civil society development. Dina is the lead author of several key publications such as the book: From Charity to Social Change: Trends in Arab Philanthropy and key reports including a 7 country study on trends in responsible business practice in the Arab region and the 2015 UNDP Business Solutions Report.
Her current passion lies in using entrepreneurship as a pathway to sustainable economic growth and job creation. In acknowledgement of Dina’s dedication to creating a new way of doing business through her efforts with Ahead of the Curve, she was given the Woman Entrepreneur of the Year Award for Egypt, by the American Chamber of Commerce in 2016, recognized by the Embassy of India as a “Woman of Substance” in 2016, was chosen as one of 10 United Nations Global Compact Sustainable Development Goal Pioneers, and was most recently named as one of the top 50 most influential women by the Amwal Al Ghad Magazine. Dina is an angel investor with a specific focus on healthcare businesses and is an avid supporter of civil society, previously serving of the Chair of the Board of the Arab Foundations Forum and currently a member of the Board of EducateMe and Ruwwad both based in Egypt. Dina is also a board member of two early stage fast growth businesses: Smart Medical Services and Tawseela Transportation Solutions both based in Egypt. Currently, Dina is most passionate about creating a world where all youth can see themselves as changemakers.
- CEO and Co-Founder, Ahead of the Curve, 2012 – present
- Member, Presidential Council for Economic Development, March 2015 – present
- Founding Director, Center for Entrepreneurship and Assistant Professor of Practice, Willard Brown Chair for
- International Business, School of Business, American University in Cairo, June 2015 – September 2017
- Senior Advisor for Civic Engagement, Silatech, November 2012 – December 2014
- John D. Gerhart Center for Philanthropy and Civic Engagement, American University in Cairo, 2006 – June 2012
- Senior Advisor 2012
- Associate Director 2006-2011
- Technical Consultant, Abraaj Group, 2008-2012
- Consultant to the Office of Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah, 2008
- Senior Consultant, African Development Bank, 2003 – 2006
- Center for Public Leadership Fellow, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
- Eisenhower Fellowships Fellow, Global Women’s Leadership Program
- Middle East Task Force Fellow, New America Foundation
- MPA, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
- MA, Economic Development Studies, American University in Cairo
- BA, Political Science and International Relations, American University in Cairo